3.25.2011

Firefly Lane

Today, I thought I'd share one of my guilty pleasures with you.  When I need a little "me time", I slip on over to Barnes and Noble.  What makes this pleasure guilty is that it involves avoiding the endless readings I have for my classes and picking up a light, girlie book to read.  I find a comfy arm chair and read....usually for hours!  I rarely, however, will buy the book I pick up.  Sometimes I read a little of it, have a few laughs and move on.  And a few other times, I've even returned to the Barnes and Noble repeatedly until I finish it.  

Back in the fall, however, this pattern changed a bit.  I BOUGHT a book at Barnes and Noble!  This wasn't just any book, however, it was one of the most incredible books I have ever read (and I've read A LOT of books).

The book was Firefly Lane.


Firefly Lane tells the story of Tully and Kate.  Two girls that meet in 1974 at the ripe age of 14.  They are opposites:  Tully is the hot popular girl with an inattentive mother and love for makeup; Kate is the nerdy girl with a doting mother and love for Lord of the Rings.  The two meet, however, and form an inseparable bond.  Kristin Hannah tells the story of this pair's friendship spanning over three decades.  She has a unique ability to articulate human emotion in its rawest form.  You see the characters in their brightest moments and their darkest; you see them grow apart and come back together; and mostly, you see the power of female friendships.  

Kristin Hannah

What I love about this book is that it's not just your ordinary fun, girlie book.  When I initially picked it up, I thought I would read it for a bit, have a few good laughs and move on.  Little did I know what I had in store-- this book is so much more than your average escape book.  It explores themes of friendship, motherhood, and romance.

It will make you reflect on yourself-- your friendships, relationships, and ideas.  

It will make you cry....and cry....and cry.  (This book evoked the "body-shaking sob" in me...I was crying so much at the end I had to sit up and could barely control myself-- AND I don't typically cry in books!).  

I left this book changed.  If you're in need of an inspiring, heartfelt, and thought-provoking read, Firefly Lane is THE book for you.  

Has anyone else read it?  If so, what did you think?

Are there any books you've read that have had this much of an impact on you?

As a side note, thanks to Seersuckered Sailor for the "Stylish Blog Award."  I feel so grateful for the open arms with which the blogging world has welcomed me!  I was awarded this by two other fabulous bloggers this week, so to read my 7 random facts and see who I awarded, click here.