As I've mentioned before, I can't imagine living anywhere other than THE South. At home, I have this sign in my bedroom. I bought it at one of my absolute favorite stores, Tweed in Richmond.
If you can't read it, it says: "The place where... 1) Tea is sweet and accents are sweeter. 2) Summer starts in April. 3) Macaroni & Cheese is a vegetable. 4) Front Porches are wide and words are long. 5) Pecan Pie is a staple. 6) Y'all is the only proper noun. 7) Chicken is fried and biscuits come with gravy. 8) Everything is Darlin'. 9) Someone's heart is always being blessed."
There is SO much I could post about just based off of this sign, but today I am going to focus on number 4: "Front Porches are wide..."
Front porches are iconic of the South and are often a place to socialize and reflect. At my godparents' lake house, the porch is such a place of memories and down-right debauchery, that we gave them this sign as a Christmas present last year:
Thanks to Aunt Patti for snapping this pic and sending it to me!
My dream home will have a HUGE front porch with a swing and some rocking chairs.
Today, I want to pay homage to the South's amazing porches and share some lovely ones I found online!
I could rock in that swing for hours!
There's just something about a yellow house...
I can just picture my (future) kiddies playing on this bench!
stately columns, windows galore, hydrangeas...YES PLEASE!
I'm convinced...my future home will have a pink door!
Does your house have a front porch? What are the "must haves" of your dream home?
As a side note, special thanks go to Jenny at Something Old, Something New (if you have not read her blog, you must check it out!) for the "One Lovely Blog Award." As part of this award, you're supposed to share 7 random facts about yourself and award 15 other bloggers! So, here goes!
- The word verifications when posting comments crack me up! Most recently I was tickled by "goons."
- I'm super organized and a neat freak, but when I get busy, my room becomes an absolute wreck. This semester, with 7 classes, I have been quite busy, so typically Thurs night-Mon morning my room is clean, and then Mon night-Thurs it's a wreck!
- I'm a huge nerd and like to sit in the front in most of my classes.
- I'm a lefty, but play most sports with my right hand.
- Country music is my favorite.
- I've always been a "Daddy's Girl" but in the last 5 or 6 years my mom and I have also become the best of friends. I willingly hang out with my parents more than any other college kid I know!
- I'm a complete girlie girl, but also love the outdoors and to get dirty on occasion, especially when I'm at the lake or river.