8.02.2011

A Long Way Gone

A Happy Tuesday to you all!

Today's African Aspirations post is going to be a little different.

Rather that sharing something with you that I've done research on, I thought we could learn about something together.  Please skim through this and read important instructions at the bottom!

A while back one of my best friend's AMF gave me the book A Long Way Gone  by Ishmael Beah.


AMF read it for a human rights class we both took and highly recommended it.

According to the website:  

"In A LONG WAY GONE, Beah, now twenty-six years old, tells a riveting story.  At the age of twelve he fled attacking rebels and wandered a land rendered unrecognizable by violence.  By thirteen, he'd been picked up by the government army, and Beah, at heart  a gentle boy, found that he was capable of truly terrible acts.  Eventually released by the army and sent to a UNICEF rehabilitation center, he struggled to regain his humanity and to reenter the world of civilians, who viewed him with fear and suspicion.  This is, at last, a story of redemption and hope."

Beah

So now for my grand idea!  I thought a fun way to broaden all our horizons and learn from each other would be to do a blog book discussion.  October's installment of African Aspirations will be my review of this book and some questions for discussion.  I'd love for YOU my readers to read this book with me and link up with your own reviews and responses to my questions.  I know we all love our light, girly books--but why not read something a little heavier once in a while?  

To buy this book, check out Amazon here.
To explore the book's website, click here.

You've got two months to find time to read this book--WHO'S IN!?

Have a great day!